Knouse's Fiction Page
Look for something here in the future.
Welcome to my science fiction page--or perhaps I should say that this is my fantasy, writing science fiction. I post stories every now and again. Understand that I do not post a story unless it's already been rejected by all the major science fiction magazines, so you might consider these to all be rejects. These are only a fraction of what I've written. Since none of my stories have ever been accepted for publication, I guess that, so far, they're ALL rejects. Hah!
I can tell you that, whatever the quality of my writing, a potent reason that my stories are not likely to be considered is that of the space opera question. Classic science fiction is mostly space opera, which is a term for action-oriented science fiction, and that's pretty much what I write. Today, most editors are inclined towards the story that paints a vignette or is focused on exploring the inner workings of its characters. That's just not my style.
I've started adding .pdf files for those who want to download to read later. I've done so for the novelettes and stories (but not short-short) stories listed.
This page was last revised on January 02, 2017.
- Current New Story: Through the Kitchen Door (a .pdf, posted 02 January 2017, but written somewhere around 2003) So you think you're just taking a quick snack break during the commercial? Hah! What if?
- Out from Thrinacia (novelette, posted 31 October 2014) What if aliens came and offered us paradise -- somewhere else?
- Somewhere under the Eight Ball (posted 15 October 2015) Suppose we DID send out a long-distance cryoship that would take many years to get there? What could go wrong? Incidentally, if you saw the movie "Passengers," you may note several points of similarity, but what can I say? I wrote this story around 2005 or so.
- Gomblatz Dingle (posted 16 June 2015) What if there are nasty things headed for our planet we don't know about? A touch of horror here.
- What Goes Around (posted 01 November 2014) What if a new epidemic happened, and we couldn't figure out THE source of it?
- A Roach in the House (posted 09 November 2004) What if a sentient roach from the future visited us in the past?
- A Few Days' Vacation in Paradise (posted 27 January 2003) What if your dream vacation was a little rougher than you expected?
- The Black Hole of Our Pizza Contents (posted 05-06-2001) What if a black hole suddenly appeared in YOUR front yard?